Re: optimum postgres server configuration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Cory 'G' Watson
Subject Re: optimum postgres server configuration
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 10:44  AM, scott.marlowe wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, tom dyson wrote:
>
>> We're about to buy a new server for dedicated Postgres serving. It'll
>> be
>> serving 4 - 10 databases (average dump size 20Gb) for various web
>> applications. What is the list's advice on optimum configuration of
>> hardware
>> and software, given a smallish fixed budget (around $US 2000)? In
>> particular, should we prioritise

<snip>

In the short time I've lurked (and de-lurked, and re-lurked) on this
list, I've seen this question (and the same answers) probably a hundred
times.

Is there any document we can point this people to?  If not, I'm
volunteering to write some documentation (I've already started
actually, I'm in the preface ATM, in docbook) that can be used as guide
for:

1) determining how your data will use postgres (heavy read, heavy
write, etc)
2) getting hardware (disks, cpu, memory) and low-level software (OS)
3) configuring Pg (simple definitions of the params, example configs
for common setups, etc)

Much of this is in the 'big' docs @pg.org, but I believe we could
benefit from a more targeted document.

If this is needed, is there some(where|one) that I should put my work?
I'm not a guru at this, but my db runs well, and it would be a nice
learning experience.  I'll obviously post work periodically to the
general list for review/clarification and accept changes.

Cory 'G' Watson
http://www.loggerithim.org