DB Encoding question - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Sbob
Subject DB Encoding question
Date
Re: DB Encoding question  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-admin
All;

We are converting from DB2 on the mainframe to PostgreSQL 14 in the
cloud. We have been using IIDR to dump DB2 tables to CSV files and then
using pg_loader / COPY to import the files. However the DB2 Encoding is
EBCDIC and the PostgreSQL db encoding is UTF8, this is causing some rows
/ columns to fail when we try to load the data into PostgreSQL

Will we be better off changing the PostgreSQL encoding to match the DB2
database? Will this cause other issues down the road? Is there a 'best
practice' for this use case?

Thanks in advance