Re: [HACKERS] Ack...major(?) bug just found in v6.3.1... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vadim B. Mikheev
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Ack...major(?) bug just found in v6.3.1...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> acctng=> vacuum radlog;
> NOTICE:  BlowawayRelationBuffers(radlog, 3): block 786 is referenced
> (private 0, last 0, global 53)
                      ^^^^^^^^^
I assume that you got some FATAL before vacuum.

We have problems with elog(FATAL): backend just exits (with normal code)
and postmaster doesn't re-initialize shmem etc though backend could
have some spinlocks and pinned buffers. This leaves system in unpredictable
state!

IMO, in elog(FATAL) backend should abort() (just like in ASSERT).

> FATAL 1:  VACUUM (vc_rpfheap): BlowawayRelationBuffers returned -2
> acctng=>
>
> Just got this on one of my tables...indices are all dropped before doing
> the vacuum...

Comments ?

Vadim