How to query by month? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From taizi
Subject How to query by month?
Date
Re: How to query by month?
Re: How to query by month?
List pgsql-admin
Hi all,
im a beginner for SQL, and  trying to use it with my daily work.
Now i catched this question(my title of mail).
Suppose there is a table about orders, i want to sum the total amount of each month.
There was a statement of mine to november.
select  sum(order_amount) FROM table_name WHERE order_date between '2016-11-01' AND '2016-11-30';
I know it comes a result what i want, but i hope someone can tell me another way to use.
After searched, i found  there is a function named date_part, but it doesn't work.
thanks for any help!
Leopold