Re: GROUP BY DISTINCT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: GROUP BY DISTINCT
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 3/18/21 6:25 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 3/16/21 3:52 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:

>>> Thanks for taking a look.

>>> Good idea; I never think about the index.

>>> There is kind of a precedent for it, I was copying off of TriggerEvents
>>> and func_alias_clause.
>>>

>> I see. I was looking for "(bool) intVal" but you're right TriggerEvents
>> code does something similar.

>>> I didn't want to create a whole new parse node for it, but Andrew Gierth
>>> pointed me towards SelectLimit so I did it like that and I agree it is
>>> much cleaner.
>>>

>> I agree, that's much cleaner.

>>> I turned this into an enum for ALL/DISTINCT/default and the caller can
>>> choose what it wants to do with default.  I think that's a lot cleaner,
>>> too.  Maybe DISTINCT ON should be changed to fit in that?  I left it
>>> alone for now.
>>>

>> I think DISTINCT ON is a different kind of animal, because that is a
>> list of expressions, not just a simple enum state.
>>
>>> I also snuck in something that all of us overlooked which is outputting
>>> the DISTINCT in ruleutils.c.  I didn't add a test for it but that would
>>> have been an unfortunate bug.
>>>

>> Oh!
>>
>>> New patch attached, rebased on 15639d5e8f.
>>>

>> Thanks. At this point it seems fine to me, no further comments.
>>

> Pushed. Thanks for the patch.

Hmmm, this seems to fail on lapwing with this error:

parse_agg.c: In function 'expand_grouping_sets':
parse_agg.c:1851:23: error: value computed is not used
[-Werror=unused-value]
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors

That line is this:

    foreach_delete_current(result, cell);

and I don't see how any of the values close by could be unused ...

The only possibility I can think of is some sort of issue in the old-ish
gcc release (4.7.2).

regards

--
Tomas Vondra