Re: Infrastructure monitoring - Mailing list pgsql-www

From John Hansen
Subject Re: Infrastructure monitoring
Date
List pgsql-www
Joshua D. Drake [mailto:jd@commandprompt.com]
> O.k. hardware requirements are no sweat. We can put together
> a 6 drive scsi array for the database and I will put the os
> on a couple of ide with raid 1.

That's cool, this damp piece of string could use the freed up bandwidth :)

> Why do we "need" a separate server for the cgi's? Are they
> that hard on the webserver?

Not separate, just separate from this server, and it's not a requirement, but my recommendation.
You can add search.postgresql.org as a vhost to any other machine(s).
Most of the time spent on searches, are spent in executing the cgi (provided of course, that the backend is fast).

Currently, I have the load spread evenly among 3 webservers (I use a reverse proxy load balancer for this), which at
peakputs the load to somewhere between 3 and 4.

Also, as I was about to mention on IRC, you might want to consider porting the apache module to apache2 or use it on
apache1,which is much faster than the cgi.

With 4 gig of ram however, you would probably be fine running it all on the one host.

... John