timeline X of the primary does not match recovery target timeline Y - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Tistler
Subject timeline X of the primary does not match recovery target timeline Y
Date
List pgsql-general
I am trying to set up master/slave warm standby streaming replication (9.1).  I am not doing archiving/log shipping.  I
haveread that you cannot reverse roles between the master and slave, and that once a slave is "promoted", you need to
use pg_basebackup or rsync to copy files from the newly promoted master to the old master.  I am fine with this,
however,in my case all I am trying to do is re-enable the slave to be in recovery mode. I am doing this by deleting the
triggerfile ( which I had originally created to promote the slave to master ) and moving recovery.done to
recovery.conf,then restarting postgres.  As a result I get the following error:

FATAL:  timeline 2 of the primary does not match recovery target timeline 3

Relevant info:

on master: postgresql.conf

max_wal_senders = 5
wal_keep_segments = 32
checkpoint_segments = 8
wal_level = hot_standby

on slave: recovery.conf

standby_mode = on
primary_conninfo = 'host=172.16.135.205 port=5432 user=replicator password=replicator'
trigger_file = '/tmp/pgsql.trigger'

everything in postgresql.conf on the slave is default related to replication.

On a side note I am slightly confused as to why someone would use "archive mode/restore_command" in combination with
streamingreplication.  As I stated above, I am not archiving/restoring on either the master or slave, I am simply
relyingon streaming replication.... is this the wrong approach??

Thanks in advance for the help.