Re: [HACKERS] atttypmod - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] atttypmod
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Brett McCormick wrote:

> How about having output options for types?  I know this can be
> implemented with functions and views, but it would be nice to able to
> output values in different formats by default (such as datetime =>
> seconds since the epoch)

This is a slippery slope. If you have various output options, then you also
would want to cleanly input those same outputs. There are already some output
options for date/time, to accomodate the world-wide variations in same. Having
a fully-general input/output capability for all data types which bypasses
functions and views seems to be ignoring the power of those existing
mechanisms...

otoh, we _do_ have to figure out how to implement the decimal/numeric type
someday, so dive in :)

                                                     - Tom