Re: [HACKERS] Re: [PORTS] v6.3 release ToDo list and supported p - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas G. Lockhart
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [PORTS] v6.3 release ToDo list and supported p
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I just checked the changelogs and Debian has integrated lots of upstream
> patches into glibc-2.0.6. So maybe this wasn't fixed before 2.0.6. I'm
> currently running 2.0.7pre1 and that one is fine.

Andrew, could you add this to the Linux FAQ? The problem statement is:

Q:
Why do I get funny rounding results in some date/time arithmetic, such as
  select '4 hours'::timespan;
returning '3 hours 59 minutes 60 seconds'?

A:
You are running the new glibc2 libraries and have a version earlier than
2.0.7. It is a math rounding problem in the library. Upgrade your library.

And, it seems to me that we should avoid those platform-specific patches
which were discussed to try getting this to work with the buggy versions of
these libraries...

                                                   - Tom