Re: [HACKERS] Trigger and permissions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vadim B. Mikheev
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Trigger and permissions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:

>     I  think  it  would  be nice to to have something like setuid
>     triggers. Some triggers cause a change of the user  and  some
>     don't.  A  setuid_user  attribute in pg_trigger could do that
>     job.  If that doesn't  contain  NULL,  the  trigger  will  be
>     invoked  under  the  permissions  of  the user in that field.
>     Obviously to say that a normal user can  only  create  setuid
>     triggers with his own name.
>
>     Should  the  syntax  for  CREATE  TRIGGER be extended here or
>     should we have a completely different command for that?
>
>     Any suggestions/comments?

First, what standard says about execution permissions of triggers,
functions and procedures ?

Second, if we would decide to have both setuid and non-setuid
triggers (etc) then I would suggest special command to set
setuid "bit" - just to don't change syntax of both CREATE TRIGGER
and CREATE FUNCTION. Also, in "normal" dbsystem, user first
does CREATE VIEW and only after that does GRANT ... TO ... (it likes
setting setuid bit on VIEW).

Vadim