Re: WAL Archiving and base backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mladen Gogala
Subject Re: WAL Archiving and base backup
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/16/22 13:12, Issa Gorissen wrote:

> Just to avoid any misunderstanding. I am perfectly happy using the
> backup/restore with pg_dump and we use it for at least a decade with
> success for our need of backups.

I am using pgbackrest. I used to use pg_rman, being well acquainted with
rman backup tool  belonging to another database system, but pg_rman was
removing WAL archives before they were delivered to replica. I have
replication slots from the OLTP database to the DW database with
partitions, hash and bloom indexes and massive amount of processors, for
parallel query. I need the replication to work. In addition to that,
pgbackrest can employ parallelism while pg_rman cannot do that. I find
pgbackrest by far the best Postgres backup system.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant