Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> Since there doesn't seem to be much interest in going all the way to Markdown,
> the attached 0001 is just the formatting changes for achieving (to some degree)
> consistency among the README's.  This mostly boils down to using a consistent
> amount of whitespace around code, using the same indentation on bullet lists
> and starting sections the same way.  Inspecting the patch with git diff -w
> reveals that it's not much left once whitespace is ignored.  There might be a
> few markdown hunks left which I'll hunt down in case anyone is interested in
> this.

> As an added bonus this still makes most READMEs render nicely as Markdown, just
> not automatically on Github as it doesn't know the filetype.

I did not inspect the patch in detail, but this approach seems
like a reasonable compromise.  However, if we're not officially
going to Markdown, how likely is it that these files will
stay valid in future edits?  I suspect most of us don't have
those syntax rules wired into our fingers (I sure don't).