Re: Back Slash \ issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ravi Krishna
Subject Re: Back Slash \ issue
Date
List pgsql-general

> I don't think we've seen enough representative data to know exactly what the backslash is doing.  It doesn't appear
tobe an escape, based on the sole example I've seen it appears to be a data separator between first name and last name.

> It seems increasingly likely to me that you might not be in a position where the COPY command in PostgreSQL can
handleloading the database, at least not without some help.  You might have to write a program to clean up the data and
formatit for PostgreSQL.

> I've spent a lot of time over the years migrating data from one platform to another, you have to know EXACTLY what
datayou currently have and what format you need it turned into before you can figure out how to do the transformation.

> --
> Mike Nolan

Fully agreed.  I have informed Guntry via email that he has to provide more information before we can help further.