Re: can't alter user with the postgres user - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: can't alter user with the postgres user
Date
List pgsql-novice
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Wow.  Frankly, I'm not sure how it's possible to install postgresql without a
> superuser.

You can't.  The original superuser account must have been deleted, or
perhaps altered to not have superuser privs anymore.

> In any case, I think re-installation will be your easiest way to fix this.

I believe it's possible to create a new superuser from a standalone
backend.  However, if this is a test installation with no valuable data
in it, a re-install probably is the easiest path.

            regards, tom lane