Re: BUG #18411: Unable to create database with owner on AWS RDS - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #18411: Unable to create database with owner on AWS RDS
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Using the postgres user on AWS RDS, execution of

> CREATE USER my_user WITH PASSWORD 'my-user-password';
> CREATE DATABASE my_database WITH OWNER=my_user;

> Results in an error:

> ERROR:  must be able to SET ROLE "my_user"
> SQL state: 42501

> However, the following succeeds
> CREATE USER my_user WITH PASSWORD 'my-user-password';
> CREATE DATABASE my_database;
> ALTER DATABASE my_database OWNER TO my_user;

> Is this intended behaviour or am I taking advantage of a bug by creating the
> database and then setting the OWNER using ALTER DATABASE?

Both things fail for me:

regression=# create user admin with createrole createdb;
CREATE ROLE
regression=# \c - admin
You are now connected to database "regression" as user "admin".
regression=> CREATE USER my_user WITH PASSWORD 'my-user-password';
CREATE ROLE
regression=> CREATE DATABASE my_database WITH OWNER=my_user;
ERROR:  must be able to SET ROLE "my_user"
regression=> CREATE DATABASE my_database;
CREATE DATABASE
regression=> ALTER DATABASE my_database OWNER TO my_user;
ERROR:  must be able to SET ROLE "my_user"

I suggest taking this up with AWS.

            regards, tom lane