Re: pgsql: Require version 0.98 of Test::More for TAP tests - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Require version 0.98 of Test::More for TAP tests
Date
List pgsql-committers
> On 11/20/21 20:10, Noah Misch wrote:
>> The skip would be unnecessary if configure just tested whether $PROVE can run
>> a test requiring the module.  We're testing $PERL, but we're actually
>> indifferent to $PERL's Test::More.

> Yeah, we could do something along these lines:
> [ script ]

Seems reasonable to me, although it's not entirely clear how to hook
the output into configure's practices --- in particular, people using
"./configure -q" might not be pleased by unwanted diagnostic output.
But that could probably be dealt with.

> prove is pretty much always a script - if we want to know which perl is
> invoked we could look at its shebang line.

Do we care though?

I think the $64 question is whether it's a great idea to run the
TAP tests with a different Perl than is used for (a) build tooling
and (b) building plperl against.  I guess that it should work in
principle, and the msys animals apparently need it, but I'm
concerned that somebody will waste a lot of time being confused by
unexpected behavioral differences.  ("This works when I run a perl
script by hand, why doesn't it work in my TAP test?")  So I still
think that the best default behavior is to pick a prove associated
with the selected perl, and if you really want something other than
that then you have to set PROVE explicitly.

IOW, I think we should make (and back-patch) both of the changes
discussed in this thread.

            regards, tom lane