Re: Should we document how column DEFAULT expressions work? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Should we document how column DEFAULT expressions work?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Well, 'now()' certainly _looks_ like a function call, though it isn't.
> The fact that 'now()'::timestamptz and 'now'::timestamptz generate
> volatile results via a function call was my point.

The only reason 'now()'::timestamptz works is that timestamptz_in
ignores irrelevant punctuation (or what it thinks is irrelevant,
anyway).  I do not think we should include examples that look like
that, because it will further confuse readers who don't already
have a solid grasp of how this works.