Replication - doubts - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jayadevan M
Subject Replication - doubts
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello all,

I went through the documentation on replication. and am trying to understand the various options available.

Does replication available in PostgreSQL always use WAL (i.e irrespective of whether it is synchronous/asynchronous, whether it is using archived logs or ‘live’ logs or streaming)?

I understand that we can use WALs in 3 modes

1)      Use the archived WALs – results in the slave being significantly behind the master. This is set up using the archive_command

2)      Use entire WAL segments

3)      Use ‘streaming’ , i.e. use WAL files before they are complete – in this case the slave is almost uptodate

If I set up a slave using the archived WAls and set hot_standby on in the slave, will I be able to read from the slave?

Regards,

Jayadevan

DISCLAIMER: "The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication. IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."