Re: Problem while installing PostgreSQL using make - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problem while installing PostgreSQL using make
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> Flex/Bison are only required when building from a Git tree, downloading a
> source archive and building from there might be easier to get started.
>     https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/

That's no longer true I think - as of v17 the source tarballs won't
contain any generated files, so you do need flex and bison if you want
to do any sort of development.  I am mildly astonished to hear that
too-old versions of those tools aren't extinct in the wild, though.

In any case I agree with the recommendation to install and use git
rather than downloading source tarballs.