Re: Problem with pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Turner
Subject Re: Problem with pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general
Ok - it is user error, my bad.  It looks like something bad happened during the restore, and indexes didn't get created.  I forgot that pg_dump creates indexes as upper case CREATE INDEX, and I was grepping for 'index', not 'INDEX'.

sorry for the confusion, to be honest I panicked when the thought occurred to me that I didn't have a good backup ;)

Alex.

On 11/10/06, Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer@spamfence.net> wrote:
Alex Turner <armtuk@gmail.com> schrieb:

> Sure thing, I hope it's as simple as user error!
>
> #!/bin/sh
> export DATE=`date +%Y%m%d`
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -Upostgres -hlocalhost trend > /backup/
> trend.dump.$DATE
>
> Thats pretty much it repeated for each database.  I just upgraded to 8.1.5 to
> see if that would fix the problem, but it didn't

I can't believe that. Please, create a new, simple database, create a
table with a index in this db, make a dump and paste this on
http://rafb.net/paste/ and tell us the link.

Something like this:
http://rafb.net/paste/results/8NHxOb70.html
Line 62 creates the INDEX.

Andreas
unintentional side effect.                              (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe.              N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster