Re: which dual-CPU hardware/OS is fastest for PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alex Turner
Subject Re: which dual-CPU hardware/OS is fastest for PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-performance
No - I agree - Analysis cache hit rate as a single indicator is
dangerous.  You can easily increase cache hit rate by de-optimizing a
good query so it uses more CPU cylces, and therefore has a higher
cache hit rate.  All information has to be taken as a whole when
performing optimization on a system.  Cache hit rate is just one
factor.  For data warehousing, it's obviously that you are going to
have a lower cache hit rate because you are often performing scans
across large data sets that will never fit in memory.  But for most
system, not necesarily just OLTP, a high cache hit ratio is
acheivable.  Cache hit ratio is just one small indication of
performance.

Relating to that - How to extract this kind of information from
postgresql?  Is there a way to get the cache hti ratio, or determine
the worst 10 queries in a database?

Alex Turner
NetEconomist