Re: Ubuntu, Postgresql-8.2 and remote access thru pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Leonel
Subject Re: Ubuntu, Postgresql-8.2 and remote access thru pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6/18/07, MC Moisei <mcmoisei@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just want to say that ubuntu team done an excelent job integration the
> penultimate version of postgresql in spite of the fact that I was running
> 7.4.7 it manages to install 8.2 in paralel without affecting my production
> version.
>
> There is one single thing that bothers me big time - I cannot connect to 8.2
> from my vista box.
>
> I was able to do so to 7.4.7 using Vista and I'm still able to do so on the
> very same box!
>
> Here's  some fact, I know people overhere like facts
>
> 0. I want to connect from within my network ( only from one computer) to the
> remote box that runs ubuntu
>
> 1. If I run a telnet on the box that runs the 8.2 to the port number I get a
> connection, and the postgredsql-8.2 log shows the connection (modified the
> postmaster.conf to log extra)
>
> 2. Connection remotely from pgadmin it says connection fail and no other
> info. In postgresql logs there is no trace of the pgadmin connection
> I assume that the 8.2 doesn't allow connection from my vista IP address
>
> 3. My pg_hba.conf  looks like below, I have an entry with IPV6 in there but
> it didn't work either.
>
> # Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
> local   all         postgres                          ident
> sameuser
>
> # TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
>
> # "local" is for Unix domain socket connections only
> local   all         all                               ident
> sameuser
>

> # IPv4 local connections:
> host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32            trust
> host    all         all         192.168.1.103/32        trust
>

> # IPv6 local connections:
> host    all         all         ::1/128                 trust
>

> What do you suggest to try next.
>
> Thanks,
> MC

since you have 2 postgresql  servers in the same machine
postgresql  listens on port  5432  for the  first installed postgresql
 and in  port 5433  for the second installed postgresql

try using port 5433 for postgresql 8.2

--
Leonel