Re: pgsql: Require version 0.98 of Test::More for TAP tests - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Require version 0.98 of Test::More for TAP tests
Date
List pgsql-committers
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 07:50:02PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> What I'm inclined to do is temporarily push `dirname $PERL` onto the front
>> of PATH while running
>> PGAC_PATH_PROGS(PROVE, prove)

> Adding to PATH, even briefly, is way too brazen.  You'd need to be sure that
> PATH is never searched for anything other than "prove", which is hard to
> ensure in a shell script.

Hmm.  I kind of doubt that anyone would be selecting a perl in an
untrustworthy directory --- wouldn't that imply that $blackhat could
overwrite perl itself?

Still, it wouldn't be that much more trouble to write something like

    if [ -x "`dirname "$PERL"`/prove" ]; then
        PROVE="`dirname "$PERL"`/prove"
    else
        PGAC_PATH_PROGS(PROVE, prove)
    fi

(this lacks some infrastructure, but you get the point).

> I'd be -1 on a back-patch and -0.7 for HEAD.

I think we need a back-patch of *something*.  It's pure luck that wrasse
hasn't shown problems already.  I don't want to be rediscovering this
issue a year from now when somebody back-patches some test requiring
subtests.

            regards, tom lane