Native Windows Port - Performance Issues - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Blair, Colin (Colin)
Subject Native Windows Port - Performance Issues
Date
List pgsql-ports

Hi,

I’m interesting in using PostgreSQL as an integrated database that will be deployed on thousands of systems. The system will run on Windows so we are also considering Microsoft’s MSDE which although limited in terms of database size and performance for more than 5 concurrent session is a reasonable fit with what we want to do. I’d like to use PostgreSQL based on its better scalability and claimed better performance.

A few months ago I tried installing over CYGWIN. This is not an option for us based on the complexity of the install. The installation was different on every machine I tried it on. Performance yielded roughly 800 rows per second on the ODBC test app I created. MSDE performance was 1200 rows per second based on the same test app.

Recently I downloaded a beta version of the native windows port. Installation was a breeze so my concerns regarding installation were put to rest. However, performance using my test app was roughly 15 – 20 records per second. This is 400 times SLOWER than PostgreSQL over CYGWIN. What is going on here? There is no way I consider using this unless performance is close to the CYGWIN install. I was expecting a significant increase in performance, not a decrease.

Regards,

Colin Blair.