Re: [BUGS] BUG #14897: Segfault on statitics SQL request - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14897: Segfault on statitics SQL request
Date
List pgsql-bugs
I wrote:
>> Specifying MCXT_ALLOC_ALIGN_CACHELINE rather than CACHELINE_ALIGNMENT
>> doesn't seem to make it meaningfully harder to adjust. Or are you
>> thinking of probing the hardware?

> Yeah, the latter.  The two approaches seem pretty much equivalent if
> you're assuming compile-time decisions, but if we ever wanted a run-
> time decision, I think having a flag bit that's interpreted inside
> MemoryContextAllocExtended would be easier to deal with.

Actually, independently of which way we do that, it seems like we can't
easily hide this inside a palloc wrapper.  If we palloc some extra space
and then adjust the return value to be 16-aligned, what happens when the
caller tries to pfree the block?