Re: Show NULL values AS not working - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Andy Shellam
Subject Re: Show NULL values AS not working
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi Dave

Ah right OK, I didn't realise the "Query" tab was just for SQL editor, I thought it was for the data entry grids as well.

Thanks for clearing that up.

> instead I had to do:
>
> "SELECT COALESCE(first_invalid, '1900-01-01') AS first_invalid FROM table"
>
> to prove the column is in fact NULL, and I do get: "1900-01-01 00:00:00+00"
> for this record, but in the data entry grid, PgAdmin still displays it
> blank.

That doesn't prove it's null - it proves it's null OR 1900-01-01
00:00:00+00. However, the <NULL> output option is onlt for the Query
Tool. The data entry grid always displays an empty cell for NULL, ''
for a blank string, and \'\' for a pair or single quotes. From the
docs:

I knew it was NULL cause the table only had 1 row in it, and I'd purposely set it to NULL through a query ;-)

Andy