Re: Repeatable Read Isolation Level "transaction start time" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Repeatable Read Isolation Level "transaction start time"
Date
List pgsql-general
Wizard Brony <wizardbrony@gmail.com> writes:
> But in my testing, I find that according to that statement, the transaction start time is actually "the start of the
firstnon-transaction-control statement in the transaction" (as mentioned earlier in the section). Is my conclusion
correct,or am I misunderstanding the documentation?

It's even looser than that, really: it's the first statement that
requires an MVCC snapshot.  From memory, LOCK TABLE is an important
exception --- you can acquire table locks before pinning down
a snapshot, and this is important in some scenarios.

            regards, tom lane