Re: Object Relational features in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Fred Moyer
Subject Re: Object Relational features in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
> Hi everyone. I just finished a course on PostgreSQL and I found out that
> PostgreSQL doesn't provide any object relational features (as claimed in
> the official documentation), except table inheritance and very limited
> user defined types (I defined a UDT with 2 attributes and couldn't use
> it in a table, and the trainer said it must contain 1 attribute at most
> so that it can be used (as a column) in tables)
>

> So my question is whether there is (or will be) any support for (any of)
> the following:
>
> More flexible user defined types and support for these in tables
>
> Type inheritance
>
> REF and DEREF data types
>
> Nested tables
Postgres has arrays - will that work?  After all a table is just an array :)

> Polymorphism and more flexible casting of objects (like the TREAT
> function, not only the ONLY function)
>
> Typed tables (create table X of type Y)
>
> Object views
Postgres has views.

> User defined functions (encapsulated in the body of a user defined type)
Postgres has api's in several different languages -
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/xplang.html
The best thing about it is you can write your own functions tailored to
your needs.

> I would be really thankful for any fast reply, because I need to report
> to the management whether a migration to PostgreSQL is both efficient
> and possible or not.

It would be helpful to know what db you're comparing it against so a more
informed response can be provided.  I think a lot of your anwers are out
there - you need to get both feet wet and solve a specific problem with it
to determine if it's right for your needs.

The docs http://www.postgresql.org/docs/ provide a great deal of
information which should help you.  Also the mailing lists at
http://www.postgresql.org/lists.html are very helpful and answer many
questions of those new to postgres.

Regards,

Fred