Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types
Date
Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types
Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types
List pgsql-hackers
> Another possible example is sprintf:

> create function sprintf(text, anyelement, anyelement2, anyelement3, ...)
> returns text

> In order for this to work in general, we'd need FUNC_MAX_ARGS different
> types, which is currently defined as 100 in our code.

But here, "any" would work perfectly fine, since there's no need for
any two arguments to be tied to each other or the result.

Given that we've got away so far with only 1 instance of anyelement,
I'm not really convinced that there's a market for more than anyelement2
(and anyarray2, etc).