Re: Removing Libraries (Was: Re: Open 7.3 issues) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Removing Libraries (Was: Re: Open 7.3 issues)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Now, I know one of Marc's goals is to have libpq as a stand-alone
> tarball, but I thought we decided that this _didn't_ require it to be in
> a separate CVS repository.

Removing libpq is impossible since psql, pg_dump, etc all depend on it.

> I don't think we should judge libpqxx differently than the other
> interfaces just because it is new.

The fact that it is new is a strike against it, and the fact that it is
not integrated is a bigger strike against it.

I think we should move out libpqxx and libpq++ now, and also perl5 if
we are going to put DBD::Pg on gborg rather than in the main distro.
We want to ensure there is a level playing field for libpqxx and DBD::Pg.

jdbc and odbc should be moved if and only if their maintainers want it.

I'm not in a hurry to move the rest; they're small and don't generate
a lot of CVS traffic.