Re: Removing Libraries (Was: Re: Open 7.3 issues) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Removing Libraries (Was: Re: Open 7.3 issues)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Now, I know one of Marc's goals is to have libpq as a stand-alone
> > tarball, but I thought we decided that this _didn't_ require it to be in
> > a separate CVS repository.
>
> Removing libpq is impossible since psql, pg_dump, etc all depend on it.
>
> > I don't think we should judge libpqxx differently than the other
> > interfaces just because it is new.
>
> The fact that it is new is a strike against it, and the fact that it is
> not integrated is a bigger strike against it.
>
> I think we should move out libpqxx and libpq++ now, and also perl5 if
> we are going to put DBD::Pg on gborg rather than in the main distro.
> We want to ensure there is a level playing field for libpqxx and DBD::Pg.
>
> jdbc and odbc should be moved if and only if their maintainers want it.
>
> I'm not in a hurry to move the rest; they're small and don't generate
> a lot of CVS traffic.

Note: I'm happy enough seeing ppl starting to consider moving this stuff
over to GBorg, I, by no means, expect everything to go overnight, or even
before v7.3 ...

As I mentioned in another message, I'm also kinda hoping that if we start
to divert traffic to GBorg for stuff like this, then some of the other
projects might 'come alive' again as well ...