Re: Handling of images via Postgressql - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Bob Lunney
Subject Re: Handling of images via Postgressql
Date
List pgsql-admin
Suresh,

The real question is:  does manipulation of the images have to be transactional?  If so, store them in the database.  If not, store the images in the file system and put the file name in the database, thereby avoiding unecessary WAL overhead.

Bob Lunney

--- On Wed, 4/7/10, Suresh Borse <s.borse@direction.biz> wrote:

From: Suresh Borse <s.borse@direction.biz>
Subject: [ADMIN] Handling of images via Postgressql
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Date: Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 8:50 AM

How does PostGreSQL perform in case we have to store and use huge no of images:

 Eg 4000 – 10000 images, each approx 2 MB size.

The Questions that we have are:

How do we handle such huge no of images so that the application does not slow down?

How does PostGreSQL use caching? In case of images does it cache?

Do you suggest having the images in a different database by itself?

Regards,

Suresh