Re: Multibyte char encoding atttypmod weirdness - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Multibyte char encoding atttypmod weirdness
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Huaxin WANG" <wanghx@netspeed-tech.com> writes:
> When locale is set to multibyte char encoding languages,
> such as ja_JP.eucjp, and char encoding set to EUC_JP, for the char(20)
> columns (attributes), the libpq ((PGresult *)res)->attDescs[0].atttypmod
> returned by PQfmod(res, 0) is not correct.  It's neither 20, nor 20+4 as
> reported in the hackers' mail list [1], but something varying (which I
> failed
> to figure out).  In my specific case, it's 25.

I don't think so.  A column declared as char(N) *will* have an atttypmod
of N+4.  The actual physical length in bytes of a column entry might
be more, though, since we measure N in terms of characters not bytes.

            regards, tom lane