Re: Request to modify view_table_usage to include materialized views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Request to modify view_table_usage to include materialized views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jonathan Lemig <jtlemig@gmail.com> writes:
> Would it be possible to modify the information_schema.view_table_usage
> (VTU) to include materialized views?

Is it physically possible?  Sure, it'd just take adjustment of some
relkind checks.

However, it's against project policy.  We consider that because the
information_schema views are defined by the SQL standard, they should
only show standardized properties of standardized objects.  If the
standard ever gains materialized views, we'd adjust those views to
show them.  In the meantime, they aren't there.

It would make little sense in any case to adjust only this one view.
But if we were to revisit that policy, there are a lot of corner
cases that would have to be thought through --- things that almost
fit into the views, or that might appear in a very misleading way,
etc.