Re: Why is 'use_alias' hardcoded to true in deparseFromExprForRel() for some cases - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Why is 'use_alias' hardcoded to true in deparseFromExprForRel() for some cases
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Rajan Pandey <rajanpandey2508@gmail.com> writes:
> This seems like an extra-protection in case of joins. But it could happen
> that the join is across 2 different foreign postgres-servers (means each
> foreign server will do SCAN only, and the JOIN will happen at the upper
> layer). In that case, using aliases in the remote queries seem redundant to
> me.
> Please correct me if I am missing something. Can we note pass
> `bms_membership(foreignrel->relids) == BMS_MULTIPLE` instead?

I'd be very very careful about changing that, because presence
of a join alias affects the parser's behavior in non-obvious ways.
Unless you've got some compellingly good reason for messing
with this, I doubt it is worth the investigatory effort to
convince ourselves that it wouldn't introduce any bugs.