Re: pg_trgm comparison bug on cross-architecture replication due to different char implementation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_trgm comparison bug on cross-architecture replication due to different char implementation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> writes:
> When do we set the byte on the primary server? If it's the first time
> to use the GIN index, secondary servers would have to wait for the
> primary to use the GIN index, which could be an unpredictable time or
> it may never come depending on index usages. Probably we can make
> pg_upgrade set the byte in the meta page of GIN indexes that use the
> gin_trgm_ops.

Hmm, perhaps.  That plus set-it-during-index-create would remove the
need for dynamic update like I suggested.  So very roughly the amount
of complexity would balance out.  Do you have an idea for how we'd get
this to happen during pg_upgrade, exactly?