Re: "COPY foo FROM STDOUT" and ecpg - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "COPY foo FROM STDOUT" and ecpg
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> writes:
> On 26.02.2013 18:23, Tom Lane wrote:
>> (I assume
>> the backend will bounce the other cases at some post-grammar stage.)

> No. All four combinations of FROM/TO and STDIN/STDOUT are accepted:

Huh.  That seems like an odd decision.  If we agree that that behavior
is desirable, then your patch is ok as-is, though I do question whether
this should be tested in the grammar at all rather than at runtime.

I wonder whether this is just an oversight, or if we did it
intentionally because people were confused about which combinations
to use.  It seems like maybe "TO STDIN" could be justified if you
thought about stdin of the recipient rather than stdout of the server,
but it still seems a bit sloppy thinking.