Re: Error_startup postgresql server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel Verite
Subject Re: Error_startup postgresql server
Date
List pgsql-general
    Joana Camacho wrote:

> postgres@jc:~$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -l logfile -D
> /usr/local/pgsql/data1/data/
> server starting
> postgres@jc:~$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createuser radius --no-superuser
> --no-createdb --no-createrole -P
> Enter password for new role:
> Enter it again:
> createuser: could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to
> server: No such file or directory
>     Is the server running locally and accepting
>     connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
> I've search the web and seen some people saying to uncomment a line in the
> postgresql.conf file ("tcpip_socket = true") but I don't have this line! I'm
> not understanding what's wrong, why can't I create an user, supposedly the
> server is running..

tcpip_socket is for older versions, but according to the error message, the
createuser program doesn't try to connect to a TCP/IP socket so whether there
is one or not is not relevant to your immediate problem.

Maybe the postgresql server fails to start, first you want to look for errors
in 'logfile' (your -l option to pg_ctl start) about that.

Othewise you sould follow the lead of the error message and check things such
as if /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 exists, what are its permissions, if it doesn't
exist what is the value of the unix_socket_directory parameter in
postgresql.conf, or what port postgres is configured to listen to (also in
postgresql.conf).
If they're non-standard you need pass additional options to the createuser
command.

Best regards,
--
Daniel