Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Mitch Pirtle
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability
Date
List pgsql-www
Hi Bruce, we met in Manhattan for your NYPHP presentation - I was the
lone PostgreSQL cheerleader in the back ;-)

You ask for proposals, no matter how radical, so here goes:

o  Location of servers

Pending bandwidth requirements, I am willing to sponsor hosting of
these sites, possibly on dedicated hardware.  But I need some ideas of
bandwidth usage so I can figure out which strategies make the most
sense financially.  BTW be glad your servers are not in Florida, I
have one client that is in a significant amount of pain right now.

o  FreeBSD

I'm agnostic in this regard, but have experienced that Linux distros
seem to be the easiest to maintain (Debian, Fedora).

o  Web site

I am a core developer on the Mambo project (www.mamboserver.com), and
joined the core team primarily to implement database abstraction
(currently tied to MySQL gasp!).  Mambo has grown quite famous for
being easy to use, has lightweight requirements, and has a huge 3rd
party community that provides all kinds of extra goodies (forums, i18n
support, commerce, you name it).  I would happily volunteer the
efforts to migrate the existing site to Mambo to make it easier for
the core gang to keep the site current.  I would also consider having
PostgreSQL.org running Mambo being excellent incentive to prioritize
the implementation of ADOdb ;-)

o  Archives

Depending on the format, Mambo natively supports archiving of content.
 This may be a big win for PostgreSQL; and I would just need to get
more information on the scope (and current format) of the archived
content.

o  About me

I have been very active as a PostgreSQL booster (not as a developer),
so none of you have ever heard of me - but I have been very vocal in
both Switzerland (where I lived until last year) and in Manhattan.
Writing articles for International PHP Magazine (www.php-mag.net) also
gives me a chance for some subliminal advertising.

There you have it, consider it as a preliminary offer - it is the best
I can do, being that all of you have given me such a powerful database
for free.  Perhaps being a web developer means that the best way for
me to contribute would be on the website?

Regards,

Mitch Pirtle
Mambo core eveloper (www.mamboserver.com)
International PHP Magazine author (www.php-mag.net)