Re: Note on scalar subquery syntax - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Note on scalar subquery syntax
Date
List pgsql-general
Kevin Murphy <murphy@genome.chop.edu> writes:
> I'm no expert, but per Peter's request, here is a generic
> array-unpacking function that works in PostgreSQL 8.0.
> [snip]

> I would imagine that a type-specific version would be faster.

No, actually it'd be exactly the same.  What happens under the hood with
a plpgsql "anyarray" function is that Postgres instantiates a copy for
each specific datatype you call it with during the life of your session.
So there's no real point in doing the same thing manually.

            regards, tom lane