Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Add LZ4 compression in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 3/16/23 18:04, gkokolatos@pm.me wrote:

> [...]

Thanks. I think the split seems reasonable - the goal was to not mix
different changes, and from that POV it works.

I'm not sure I understand the Gzip_read/Gzip_write changes in 0001. I
mean, gzread/gzwrite returns int, so how does renaming the size_t
variable solve the issue of negative values for errors? I mean, this

-    size_t    ret;
+    size_t    gzret;

-    ret = gzread(gzfp, ptr, size);
+    gzret = gzread(gzfp, ptr, size);

means we still lost the information gzread() returned a negative value,
no? We'll still probably trigger an error, but it's a bit weird.

ISTM all this kinda assumes we're processing chunks of memory small
enough that we'll never actually overflow int - I did check what the
code in 15 does, and it seems use int and size_t quite arbitrarily.

For example cfread() seems quite sane:

    int
    cfread(void *ptr, int size, cfp *fp)
    {
        int ret;
        ret = gzread(fp->compressedfp, ptr, size);
        return ret;
    }

but then _PrintFileData() happily stashes it into a size_t, ignoring the
signedness. Surely, if

    static void
    _PrintFileData(ArchiveHandle *AH, char *filename)
    {
        size_t        cnt;
        while ((cnt = cfread(buf, buflen, cfp)))
        {
            ahwrite(buf, 1, cnt, AH);
        }
    }

Unless I'm missing something, if gzread() ever returns -1 or some other
negative error value, we'll cast it to  size_t, while condition will
evaluate to "true" and we'll happily chew on some random chunk of data.

So the confusion is (at least partially) a preexisting issue ...

For gzwrite() it seems to be fine, because that only returns 0 on error.
OTOH it's defined to take 'int size' but then we happily pass size_t
values to it.

As I wrote earlier, this apparently assumes we never need to deal with
buffers larger than int, and I don't think we have the ambition to relax
that (I'm not sure it's even needed / possible).

I see the read/write functions are now defined as int, but we only ever
return 0/1 from them, and then interpret that as bool. Why not to define
it like that? I don't think we need to adhere to the custom that
everything returns "int". This is an internal API. Or if we want to
stick to int, I'd define meaningful "nice" constants for 0/1.

0002 seems fine to me. I see you've ditched the idea of having two
separate buffers, and replaced them with DEFAULT_IO_BUFFER_SIZE. Fine
with me, although I wonder if this might have negative impact on
performance or something (but I doubt that).

0003 seems fine too.

> As far as the error handling is concerned, you had said upthread:
>
>> I think the right approach is to handle all library errors and not just
>> let them through. So Gzip_write() needs to check the return value, and
>> either call pg_fatal() or translate it to an error defined by the API.
>
> While working on it, I thought it would be clearer and more consistent
> for the pg_fatal() to be called by the caller of the individual functions.
> Each individual function can keep track of the specifics of the error
> internally. Then the caller upon detecting that there was an error by
> checking the return value, can call pg_fatal() with a uniform error
> message and then add the specifics by calling the get_error_func().

I agree it's cleaner the way you did it.

I was thinking that with each compression function handling error
internally, the callers would not need to do that. But I haven't
realized there's logic to detect ENOSPC and so on, and we'd need to
duplicate that in every compression func.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company