Re: The old pl/pgsql editor question back again - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: The old pl/pgsql editor question back again
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Aug 4, 2006, at 10:55 AM, Garcia, Joshua wrote:

> - syntax highlighting that is smart enough to look akward when a
> syntax
> error is made.  I think nedit does a pretty good job of this.  emacs
> syntax highlighting I've tried is pretty weak, but I really like emacs
> and use it a lot.

This is pretty hard without a full blown parser.

> - smart indention like emacs has in its c-mode.  I've seen editors
> have
> no automatic/smart indention or the indention just doesn't work
> properly
> for pl/pgsql

Do you mean it automatically indents things? That is, it changes the
indentation level for you? In a previous message you wrote:

> indent .sql files the way nedit indents
> them (which is indenting them at the same place of the line above
> while retaining sql syntax highlighting)?

If I understand correctly, pgEdit does this (keeps the indentation
level of the previous line). But it does not try to guess a different
indentation level of the next line based on the surrounding syntax.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL