Re: pg_dump lock timeout - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump lock timeout
Date
List pgsql-patches
daveg <daveg@sonic.net> writes:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 02:50:50PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> In most cases our policy has been that pg_dumpall should accept and pass
>> through any pg_dump option for which it's sensible to do so. I did not
>> make that happen but it seems it'd be a reasonable follow-on patch.

> I'll remember that next time.

Er .. actually that was a direct request for you to do it.

> Finally, you changed the option value and case from 1 to case 2. getopt_long
> only returns the value argument when there is no flag to set, so 1 was unique
> and could have been read as "the first no-short option with an argument".

Yeah.  The code *worked* as you submitted it, but what was bothering me
was that the "val = 1" table entries worked in two completely different
ways for the different argument types.  I first thought that you'd
broken the existing long argument options --- you hadn't, but I had to
go re-read the getopt_long source to convince myself of that.  So it
seemed like using a different "val" value might help clarify the
difference in behavior for future readers of the code.  In particular
the next guy who wants to add a long option with parameter value would
certainly not be able to use val = 1; but I thought the code as you
had it wouldn't give him any clue what to do.  If you've got a better
idea about how to deal with that, feel free...

            regards, tom lane