Re: Sigh, we need an initdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Sigh, we need an initdb
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2014-06-04 14:52:35 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think we could possibly ship 9.4 without fixing this, but it would be
>> imprudent.  Anyone think differently?

> Agreed. Additionally I also agree with Stefan that the price of a initdb
> during beta isn't that high these days.

Yeah, if nothing else it gives testers another opportunity to exercise
pg_upgrade ;-).  The policy about post-beta1 initdb is "avoid if
practical", not "avoid at all costs".

Actually, that statement makes me realize that if we fix
PG_CONTROL_VERSION then it's a good idea to *also* do some regular catalog
changes, or at least bump catversion.  Otherwise pg_upgrade won't be able to
cope with upgrading non-default tablespaces in beta1 installations.

For the moment I'll just go bump PG_CONTROL_VERSION, assuming that we have
enough other things on the table that at least one of them will result in
a catversion bump before beta2.

> Other things I'd like to change in that case:

I have no objection to these as long as we can get some consensus on the
new names (and personally I don't much care what those are, but I agree
"xmin" for a user column is a bad idea).