Re: Synchronized scans - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Synchronized scans
Date
List pgsql-patches
Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
> On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 11:05 +0100, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> BTW: Should we do the synchronization in the non-page-at-a-time mode?

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-09/msg01199.php

> There is a very minor assumption there that scans on pg_class will
> return in the same order. I'm not sure if that's even a problem.

I'm inclined not to worry about that --- the odds of trouble from a
concurrent schema update are at least as large as the odds of trouble
from syncscan-induced variance.  The correct fix would be to make ANALYZE
sort the rels by OID, anyhow, not to dumb down the scan.

            regards, tom lane