Re: file cloning in pg_upgrade and CREATE DATABASE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: file cloning in pg_upgrade and CREATE DATABASE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/10/2018 21:50, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I see.  Peter is proposing to have a fourth mode, essentially
>> --transfer-mode=clone-or-copy.
>
> Uh, if you use --link, and the two data directories are on different
> file systems, it fails.  No one has ever asked for link-or-copy, so why
> are we considering clone-or-copy?  Are we going to need
> link-or-clone-or-copy too?  I do realize that clone and copy have
> non-destructive behavior on the old cluster once started, so it does
> make some sense to merge them, unlike link.

I'm OK to get rid of the clone-or-copy mode.  I can see the confusion.

The original reason for this behavior was that the Linux implementation
used copy_file_range(), which does clone-or-copy without any way to
control it.  But the latest patch doesn't use that anymore, so we don't
really need it, if it's controversial.