Re: Privilege on schema 'public' not revokable - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincent de Phily
Subject Re: Privilege on schema 'public' not revokable
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wednesday 29 February 2012 14:14:19 Tom Lane wrote:

> "David Johnston" <polobo@yahoo.com> writes:

> > [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Vincent de Phily

> >> [ this doesn't do anything: ]

> >> db_foo=# REVOKE CREATE ON SCHEMA public FROM foouser;

> > "foouser" is obtaining its permission to "CREATE" on the "public " schema

> > via global/PUBLIC permissions (i.e., via inheritance). Revoking only

> > removes an explicitly granted permission but does not institute a block

> > for

> > an inherited permission. You would need to revoke the global permission

> > CREATE on "public" and then only GRANT it back to those users/roles that

> > you wish to have it - all others will then effectively lose that ability.

> Correct. Note where it says in the GRANT manual page that a user's

> effective rights are the sum of those granted to PUBLIC, those granted

> directly to him, and those granted to roles he is a member of. Rights

> granted to PUBLIC are available to everybody, full stop, and can't be

> selectively blocked.

> regards, tom lane

Ah thanks, that's what I had been thinking during the night, but you confirmed it. Leaves me wondering how I lost the public permission in the first place, but hey :p

Also, how do I see the privileges granted to public on schema ?

--

Vincent de Phily