Re: PostgreSQL logical replication depends on WAL segments? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: PostgreSQL logical replication depends on WAL segments?
Date
List pgsql-general

On 22/1/19 8:59 μ.μ., Jeremy Finzel wrote:

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:52 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On 2019-01-22 11:10:27 -0600, Jeremy Finzel wrote:
> P.S. do heed the advice of the others and get more familiar with the docs
> around WAL archiving.

Logical replication doesn't normally interact with WAL archiving in any
way, so that seems orthogonal.

But he is manually removing WAL files via cron which should normally be held until the replication slot doesn't need it anymore.  I do believe that is why he is getting errors.  The suggestion is to rely on Postgres' WAL archiving rather than removing WAL files manually...

wal retention in pg_wal and wal archiving are different things. The OP got problems cause he deliberately went on to delete files in pg_wal which means he used the wrong method to address a wrong situation.

However, if the OP has still those WAL files archived he can use them to bring logical replication back in synch. Don't ask me how I know : https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ae8812c3-d138-73b7-537a-a273e15ef6e1%40matrix.gatewaynet.com

Thanks,
Jeremy