Re: Does 'instead of delete' trigger support modification of OLD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Eugen Konkov
Subject Re: Does 'instead of delete' trigger support modification of OLD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Eugen,

Saturday, November 9, 2019, 2:05:02 PM, you wrote:

> Hello Bruce,

> Friday, November 8, 2019, 12:28:18 AM, you wrote:

>>> I have added a TODO item:
>>>
>>>       Allow DELETE triggers to modify rows, for use by RETURNING

>> Thinking some more on this, I now don't think a TODO makes sense, so I
>> have removed it.

>> Triggers are designed to check and modify input data, and since DELETE
>> has no input data, it makes no sense.  In the attached SQL script, you
>> can see that only the BEFORE INSERT trigger fires, so there is no way
>> even with INSERT to change what is passed after the write to RETURNING.
>> What you can do is to modify the returning expression, which is what I
>> have done for the last query --- hopefully that will help you.

> You  lost  my  idea.  First  of  all  I am talking about views and an
> INSTEAD OF triggers.

> INSERT/UPDATE operation present which data is added into DB
> DELETE operation present which data is deleted from DB
> (in  my  case I am not deleted exact that data which matched by where.
> See example below)

> Thus INSTEAD OF INSERT/UPDATE triggers are designed to check and modify input data
> eg.  we can insert/update something different then incoming data (here
> we are modifying NEW)

> Thus INSTEAD OF DELETE triggers are designed to check and delete **output** data
> eg. we can delete something different then underlaid data (here we are
> modifying OLD)

> for example, we have next data: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
> it  is not presented by eight rows, but instead it is presented as one
> row with range data type: [1..8]

> When we insert data we will not get new row, we change current:
> insert into table values ( 9 ) will result
> [1..9]
> instead of
> [1..8]
> 9

> So  lets  look  into INSTEAD OF DELETE trigger when we deleting
> data:
> delete from table where x in ( 5, 6, 7 );
> after deleting this we should get:
> [1..4]
> [8..9]

> thus
> with t1 as ( delete from table where x in ( 5, 6, 7 ) returning * )
> select * from t1
> should return:
> [5..7]
> instead of
> [1..9]
> because we does not delete ALL [1..9], we just delete ONLY [5..7]

> Thus I need to change matched row OLD.x from [1..9] to [5..7]

> Please  reread  my  first  letter. There I describe more real life example
> when I am manipulating bi-temporal data.

> where some value exist at given period:
> id | app_period | value
> 7     [2019-01-01, 2019-04-05)    207

> And I am deleting third month: [ 2019-03-01, 2019-04-01 )
> with  t1  as  (  delete  from  table where app_period && [ 2019-03-01,
> [...]

Here when data is deleted the next row is matched:
   7     [2019-01-01, 2019-04-05)    207
and assigned to OLD.
Because I am deleting data ONLY from [ 2019-03-01, 2019-04-01 ) period
I am required to change OLD:

OLD.app_period = [ 2019-03-01, 2019-04-01 )

So I should get:
> 7   [ 2019-03-01, 2019-04-01 )   207
instead of

--