Re: What is a typical precision of gettimeofday()? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: What is a typical precision of gettimeofday()?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Andrey M. Borodin" <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> writes:
> That’s a very interesting result, from the UUID POV!
> If time is almost always advancing, using time readings instead of a counter is very reasonable: we have interprocess
monotonicityalmost for free.
> Though time is advancing in a very small steps… RFC assumes that we use microseconds, I’m not sure it’s ok to use 10
morebits for nanoseconds…

Keep in mind also that instr_time.h does not pretend to provide
real time --- the clock origin is arbitrary.  But these results
do give me additional confidence that gettimeofday() should be
good to the microsecond on any remotely-modern platform.